Maya Project Two: Colonial Street

Posted by Sam Hayes On Sunday, November 01, 2009
We had the introduction to our next Maya project of Friday with Alan, and he showed us the first hour or so of building the next scene.I have started it today, and although it is harder than the last group of projects, I think it is much more enjoyable. I haven't been stuck with anything yet, as Alan's videos are great, I prefer them to the PDF tutorials as they are quicker to follow.

As MyUCA has seemed to have gone down, I'veonly got to part five of the tutorial, I was hoping to do more tonight. I've just finished the roof. I didn't find the UVing as hard as I thought I would, once it is all mapped, putting it together doesn't take too long.





Tommorow we're watching 'The Night of the Hunter' with Phil. I've looked up the plot of the film, as although it sounds a bit depressing, I'm sure it will have alot of good scenes (Or else Phil wouldn't show us!) I'm looking forward to it and will post a review up tommorow afternoon.

2 Responses to 'Maya Project Two: Colonial Street'

  1. http://samhayes101.blogspot.com/2009/11/maya-project-two-colonial-street.html?showComment=1257183642211#c2069254850710801364'> 2 November 2009 at 17:40

    Hi Sam,
    glad to see you are working stuff out in these early stages, start working in big blocks before worrying about the details.... Im sure Mr Hoskins has run through the basics. Check out a few books as well I think Phil posted a list on Alex's blog.

     

  2. tutorphil said...
    http://samhayes101.blogspot.com/2009/11/maya-project-two-colonial-street.html?showComment=1257195288579#c6967306084540185501'> 2 November 2009 at 20:54

    Hi Sam - see below

    Okay - some important tips re. the essay. What I DON'T want is 1,500 words of general observations about the 'look' of a game or film; what I'm looking for is some genuine research into the creative team/rationale behind the creation of a particular world (for instance, for Superman Returns, there was a conscious effort on behalf of the production designers to create an amalgamation of time periods, so that the film had a retro/contemporary quality that referenced the forties as well as the present day); another way to discuss the 'look' of a film/game in a contextualised way is to gather together lots of film/reviews and cross-reference the similarities between observations, as reviewers identify 'trends' and 'meanings' in the production design. I want you to actually 'deconstruct' the look of something in intellectual terms, and not just bang on about the obvious stuff - this should be your mantra - AVOID GENERIC OBSERVATIONS! Find an angle, support it with external evidence and PROVE your analysis... Obviously then, I'd choose something about which you can dig up the relevant information...

     

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a student studying CG Arts and Animation at the University for the Creative Arts, I'm living in Kent.

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive