Poltergeist (1982)

Posted by Sam Hayes On Wednesday, January 13, 2010


I missed the showing of Poltergeist on Monday as I was marooned in the snow, but I found a copy and watched it yesterday evening. The story revolves around a typical American family; a home-maker wife and an estate agent husband who live in a newly-built development with their three children. Like a lot of the other films we've watched this unit, the family very stereotypical. The strange events begin when a storm hits and the youngest girl of the family, who is only five, starts to talk to 'people' in the television, which no other person can hear. As the plot progress, more strange things happen in the house, such as chairs being moved and balanced, leading to the family moving. This doesn't help, as the trouble still occurs.





When a tornado hits in a strong storm, the youngest daughter goes missing, and the boy of the family hears her speaking on the other side of the Television. This leads to the family calling in a group of paranormal experts who witness complete mayhem in the house. I thought the film was very subtle until this part. In the scenes with the chairs moving, the camera cuts away when they move, however, when the paranormal experts look on, the film shows objects flying around the room, which breaks the build-up. Another expert is then brought in to rescue the daughter from 'the spirit plain', this pshyic turns out to be no other than Kim Jong Il.




I thought the film was enjoyable, it was obviously very far-fetched, but the acting was believable and the plot was fun to follow. A lot of more recent films have obviously borrowed from this, the newest I can think of is 'Paranormal Activity' which took a very similar approach (Although a more subtle) I really liekd the setting, of the new development and the slight-twist of the house being buried on the graveyard, which disturbed the dead.

I have a copy of Blue Velvet, the film I missed on tuesday, so I'll watch it and post something up.

0 Responses to 'Poltergeist (1982)'

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a student studying CG Arts and Animation at the University for the Creative Arts, I'm living in Kent.

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive