Unit Three: Enviroment

Posted by Sam Hayes On Monday, November 30, 2009
We've had our briefing for our new unit : Enviroment. Phil showed us a selection of images and paintings by a selection of artists who use the 'mise en scene' and 'table vivants' to intrigue their viewers. The main artist who we are to look at is Gregory Crewdson.

Gregory Crewdson is an American photographer who uses a technique in his images of implying something to the audience. He creates ambiquity leaving the viewer to discover and decide what they are looking at and what situation is taking place in the scene. Below are some of his images from the work "Beneath the Roses'






Each of these image seems quite sinister. They each portray a story, but the viewer can only assume what that story is or rather struggle to understand the image. My favourite of all of his work which I have looked through today is the top image of these above. It has so much detail and grit but the happenings in the image are still completely strange to me. There are children standing aimlessly in many of his images, including this one, whilst a disaster is unfolding in the background with the burning house. These images do remind me of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' which Phil cleverly showed us today alongside introducing Crewdson. I'm going to look at the artists we were told about today as I progress with my ideas for this project.

1 Response to 'Unit Three: Enviroment'

  1. Anonymous said...
    http://samhayes101.blogspot.com/2009/11/unit-three-enviroment.html?showComment=1321644442258#c1757698326447965185'> 18 November 2011 at 19:27

    Great photographs - we are looking at his work as a part of a photography brief.

     

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a student studying CG Arts and Animation at the University for the Creative Arts, I'm living in Kent.

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive