@Alan - The Suitcase

Posted by Sam Hayes On Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Yesterday I modelled the suitcase and today I plan on getting the rig and movements sorted so I can finally start to animate. I've read up on ways to make it move, and have created a set-up which I think so far is working.

The way I've 'rigged' it so far, is actually not to rig it using joints or skinning, but to create a selection of deformers and have them controllable by a separate control. I'm now adding some blend shapes alongside this for some more complicated shapes. Below is how I've put it together, I can't see any problems at the moment, but is this the best way of controlling it? Or will I run into problems when animating. It seems to be able to do most of the movements it needs to in the animation.

It has two bends, a twist and a squash deformer.



The movements I have at the moment are these:

2 Responses to '@Alan - The Suitcase'

  1. tutorphil said...
    http://samhayes101.blogspot.com/2011/03/alan-suitcase.html?showComment=1300308079203#c4222653235104769102'> 16 March 2011 at 20:41

    Hey Sam - it's alive! But won't you need it also to 'puff out' - as if it's inflating - for when it's panting, or squatting on its haunches preparing to spring?

     

  2. Alan Postings said...
    http://samhayes101.blogspot.com/2011/03/alan-suitcase.html?showComment=1300372229851#c5328255179873966610'> 17 March 2011 at 14:30

    Hi Sam

    Your case is basically the Disney flour sack (Look it up). As long as you can move it in this way then your rig is fine. Treat the upper half of the case as the 'chest' and the lower as the 'pelvis'. The top corners as 'hands' and the bottom corners as 'feet'.

     

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a student studying CG Arts and Animation at the University for the Creative Arts, I'm living in Kent.

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive