Sporangium Pods

Posted by Sam Hayes On Thursday, May 13, 2010
I've decided to put the pods on a stalk, like in the reference image below:




Here is how they look in my scene, I'm still fiddling with them.





I'm not happy with the look of my pods, I want them to look more cinematic, I've been looking at the pods from the first scenes of Alien. I'd like to replicate them, not to introduce a Sci-Fi feel, as thats not the genre I'm going for, but a cinematic environment.  I've looked at the H.R Giger book in the baseroom to get some reference. I'm going to attempt this in Maya and post my progress.







Quick test of my second scene, the point where it ends is where the Sporangium are going to be.




I've been playing around, trying to create some nice looking Sporangium pods. This is what I currently have. They don't animate too well, but I'll try and work them out tommorow. I quite like the veiny plant-look of them, but they might be a bit overdone.

3 Responses to 'Sporangium Pods'

  1. tutorphil said...
    http://samhayes101.blogspot.com/2010/05/sporangium-pods.html?showComment=1273860941011#c8160391457575035592'> 14 May 2010 at 19:15

    Hey Sam - I see your blog got 'vandalised' earlier - not very professional of them, was it... (slightly amusing though....) Meanwhile, I'm loving your imagination and productivity on this project - your latest stuff is really exciting, and the way you're moving this into filmic territories is great - love the Star Wars homage... make sure you involve Alan re. lighting and setting up your scenes economically...

     

  2. tutorphil said...
    http://samhayes101.blogspot.com/2010/05/sporangium-pods.html?showComment=1273861379245#c3910775048303953451'> 14 May 2010 at 19:22

    technically, I'm not sure what I'm asking for here, but the camera movement in the canyon scene feels unstable and erratic; you want to go for something more 'steadicam' - for instance see the tunnel sequences in third year Pol Winandy's project:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=A4ioRkqJqYo

    Observe how the camera tracks smoothly... again, consult with Alan for advice.

     

  3. Sam Hayes said...
    http://samhayes101.blogspot.com/2010/05/sporangium-pods.html?showComment=1273865833560#c3310986321278609826'> 14 May 2010 at 20:37

    Cheers Phil, I spoke to Alan briefly today about a few things but I'll try and track him down next week too. I see what you mean about the camera, it needs to be completely re-done, thanks for the link, I'll check it out and try to replicate it.

     

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a student studying CG Arts and Animation at the University for the Creative Arts, I'm living in Kent.

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive